Musings of a Bibliomaniac

Goodreads immigrant. Another victim of corporate tyranny. I blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac along with my co-blogger Scarlet.

Such a Rush - Jennifer Echols Jennifer Echols' latest is surely one of her better works, a farcry from her The Ex Games or some of her other books which straight away jump into the romance bit without a suitable build-up or do not focus on creating a believable enough world for the characters to establish themselves. The book has good characterization, the world of aviation and flying as an interesting backdrop and overall what can be called a nicely narrated story. But even so I cannot bring myself to give it a good enough rating simply because it fails on other fronts. The plot gets ridiculous quite often where logic is forsaken to create dramatic tension - like for example it's impossible to believe a boy in love with a girl will make her date his brother just so that the brother stays anchored to a particular place and doesn't join the army. That's the most preposterous thing I have ever heard of. The above mentioned boy also thinks that the girl was involved in some sort of physical relation with his own dad (when she wasn't), thinks she is a slut but still wants her anyway. I don't know how a boy with such perverse designs on this girl can actually come to 'love' her later on. So the male lead's stupidity and shallowness pretty much ruined this story for me.
Then there's Leah's(the female lead) annoying girl friend Molly who shares a love-hate relationship with her. She wants to ruin her friend's life and keeps up with the facade of friendship, waiting for an opportunity to get back at her for something she thought Leah did. Now that kind of friend is plain evil and should be gotten rid of, but of course that's not what Leah thinks. And all rivalries and bitter enmities come to an abrupt end when Leah survives a near-death experience and almost crashes a plane.
This accident somehow magically solves all weirdly complicated but nonetheless silly problems between her and the rest of the characters and TADA we get a resolution of all conflicts.
So even though I thought I'd enjoy this story I did NOT. The more memorable bits of the book are the depiction of Leah's miserable family background, her life of poverty and dire need and how she carefully manages to carve out a future for herself despite being in such a disadvantaged position-this plot point could've been exploited more with better results in my opinion or her relationship with her mentor and trainer Mr Hall and their emotional connection. Last but not the least, it is Leah herself who makes this book a better read. A headstrong, feisty, fighter of a girl who does not give up even in the worst possible circumstances and knows how to arrive at a decision or utter a loud 'NO'.

Edisto