Musings of a Bibliomaniac

Goodreads immigrant. Another victim of corporate tyranny. I blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac along with my co-blogger Scarlet.

Easy - Tammara Webber EDIT 21/05/2013:-
I am putting up this teeny little paragraph up here since lately I've been getting a few semi-irate to mildly disapproving comments expressing opposition to my thoughts regarding this book.

If you have been a victim of acquaintance rape or been sexually harassed/assaulted by someone you were familiar with and this book helped you heal in any way whatsoever or you could relate to Jackie's actions, then those are your personal feelings. And it is perfectly okay to have your own opinion.
But since this is my review, I take the liberty to judge the subject matter at hand from any and every angle I wish to. And my problem lies with Jackie's unrealistic reactions to certain events, behavior and her acute sense of low self-worth. Such heroines in any kind of literature do not help to boost the morale of our kind, especially the ones who fall victim to sexual violence or violence of any sort.
Hope that clears up why I hated this book.

Now begins my former review.
Caution:- Read at the expense of having to respect someone else's views.

---------

Reasons why you shouldn't read this book or why if you do, you might get an overpowering urge to bang your head against the wall every 2 minutes while you're doing so:-

[Spoilers ahead but I'm not bothering to use the spoiler tags since unsuspecting readers should read this and stay the hell away from this book.]

i)The female protagonist is a shining beacon of stupidity and lack of common sense. She is conspicuously lacking in self-respect and a sense of self preservation.
She is nearly raped in the parking lot while returning from a frat party one night by a drunken bastard. But does NOT report that to the police in fear of the party getting busted. And her peers blaming her for it.
Goodbye logic.

ii)Said female has second encounter with the piece of shit where he again tries to rape her, but she still does not have brains enough to get off her ass, walk to the police station and report the matter. Because apparently in this author's world either there's no law enforcement agency or the heroine isn't intelligent enough to figure out the use of one.
Instead she enrolls herself in self-defense classes. That's pretty good and all. BUT JUST GO TO THE POLICE STATION ALREADY.

iii)She basically lets a potential rapist walk all around campus with his head held high without doing anything about it except snivelling to herself. She does not even tell her room mate what happened.
Instead of doing the obvious she is busy pining for a random hot stranger with tattoos and piercings all over his body and makes out with him without even knowing him properly. Apparently when it's him she forgets all about her attacker and the trauma of the assault.
And adding to the preposterousness of it all, this random hot stranger is not only her economics class mate but also her econ tutor(who is supposed to be an upperclassman) with whom she exchanges flirtatious mails but does not know they are one and the same person. Uh what? He is an economics genius, looks like a badass with a motorcycle, works at Starbucks, can beat the shit out of creeps and play the knight in shining armor to this brainless bimbo in distress. I have never never come across anything so disgustingly cliche-ridden.

It is at this point that I gave up hope for this book. It seems that 'rationale' is not the author's favorite word. And I cannot believe that it has been nominated for Best YA novel of the year and Best Goodreads author.
Had it been possible to give it a 0 star I wouldn't have hesitated at all.
I wonder if the person who tagged this as 'realistic fiction' was being sarcastic.

P.S.:- Dear ladies who found this a really 'inspirational' story, please don't be foolish enough to let all the sexist 18th century crap get to you. There will never be a random, sexy stranger who comes out of nowhere to rescue you from danger. Use your brain and GO TO THE POLICE. Never give your tormentor a second chance to attack you. And keep a pepper spray bottle or a taser in your bag.

Edisto